Reducing needless image file sizes
Images are larger in size than plain text making them longer to load and slow down your website, but a website without images would be pretty boring! Images make your content more engaging and interactive so you’ll need them if you want to engage with your audience.
Usually if you want to optimise your photos for use on your website you would normally use photo editing software such as Photoshop. This process can be time consuming and stop you from perhaps uploading more photographs and images to your website.
Another downside of have oversized images on your website is the load time of your website pages.
So, wouldn’t it be great if that issue and task was removed from the posting process. Well it can be by using an image optimisation WordPress plug-in which will take care of resizing and optimisation.
Simply install the plug-in and set your parameters and away you go!
The plug-in I’ll focus on is Smush, which has been benchmarked and tested number one for speed and quality and has a good following in the WordPress community. It’s free for images up to 1mb so buying the premium service WP Smush Premium which involves a monthly fee but allows for unlimited websites. reSmush.it Image Optimiser allows for up to 5mb for free.
Here’s the specs for Smush:
- Lossless Compression – Reduce size without affecting image quality
- Bulk Smush – Optimise up to 50 images with one click
- Image Resizing – Set a max width and height to scale down during compression
- Incorrect Size Image Detection – Quickly locate images that are slowing down your website
- Automated Optimisation – Asynchronously auto-smush your attachments for super fast compression on upload
- Unlimited & Free – Optimise all of your images up to 1MB in size forever
- Process All Your Files – PNG, JPEG and GIF files
Interestingly a lot of these features appear in Photoshop so you are going to save a lot of time!